How is it to spend three months without your family?


How is it to spend three months without your family?

It is awesome! Seriously, you probably think you would miss them, but you don’t! Sure, the first week is all about adaptation, but after you get used to it and start to like it. Personally, I went 3 months in Guatemala. Just to put in context, I have two brothers and a sister. In my life, I had never been alone. I went to Minnesota without my parents, but I had my little sister. In one trip, there was many first times. First time taking the plane alone, first time in Central America, first time in Guatemala, first Spanish immersion, well, I think you get it. There were a lot of stress associated with those situations at the time, but when I look back, it was all part of the adventure and it was INCREDIBLE.

Without parents, I could eat ice cream in huge quantities. I could go late to bed on school nights. I could be on my phone for the length I wanted. This I when you really learn about   responsibilities. I said I could, but it didn’t mean that I would always do that. Yes, I did eat a lot of ice cream; I am guilty of the charges! Without parents, you get to make more choices. I got to make my own routine, decide my chores, etc.

Without my siblings, I had more time for myself.  When you pick which activities you want to do, you don’t have to   think of your younger siblings. I love my siblings, I really do, but sometimes, you just need some alone time. That was my opportunity to think more about me and what I wanted to do. It maybe sounds selfish, but I really needed it.

The only time that I really missed my family is when the family I was living with or my friends were doing family activities. Once, we went to the beach and I played alone almost the whole time because they only wanted to stay near the slide, and they thought the beach was too hot.

Sure, over in Guatemala I was living in a family, but it is very different. I was living with Lily, 3 years old and Rafa, 9 months old. With the age distance, I felt freer in my choices. I would just go out with my friends, leaving them at home.

The goal of this article was to show you how much it was worth to go on this trip. It was the best experience of   my whole life so don’t let fear or stress get in the way of what you really want to do. Adventure is waiting for you! Create your opportunities; do not wait for others to create them for you!

HelloÉlo
Éloïse


Comments

  1. Look like you enjoy it a lot. Seems like a really nice experience to. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to live with anxiety

Introduction

10 Ways to Reduce your Ecological Footprint